Toggle menu

Sexual Consent

Consent Image
In Scotland, Sexual Consent is defined as 'Free Agreement'

[Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009]

Under the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009 there is NO Free Agreement if:

·         The person is incapable of consenting to sex due to the influence of alcohol or drugs

·         Violence or the threat of violence is used to obtain consent

·         The person agrees to have sex because they have been unlawfully detained

·         The person gives consent after being deceived about what is about to happen

·         The person gives consent believing that they are going to have sex with someone who is being impersonated by someone else

·         The person is asleep or unconscious

·         Someone else gives consent to sex on behalf of another the person  

For more information on sexual consent and the law, click here.

For help and support, please contact: 

D&G Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Support Centre - 01387 253 113 

Rape Crisis Scotland - 08088 01 03 02 

NHS Help after Rape and Sexual Assault 

Police Scotland - 101

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted:

·        You are not alone.

·        There are many support services which can help you. They know how difficult it is for people to come forward.

·        If you have not yet contacted the police following a rape or sexual crime, then please consider doing so.

·        Police Scotland's specially trained officers are available to help and support you. They will listen and will investigate. You will be treated sensitively and with respect.

Please call Police Scotland on 101. In an emergency always call 999.

Sexual Assault Response Co-ordination Service (SARCS)


If you have recently been raped or sexually assaulted, it's understandable if you don't know what to do or where to turn.

SARCS is a dedicated NHS service (for anyone 16 or over) which can offer healthcare and support in the days after an assault, if you are not ready to tell the police or are unsure.

  • You will be treated with compassion, dignity and respect at all times.
  • Any potential evidence from the examination will be kept for a period of 26 months. During that time, you can decide whether or not you want to make a report to the police and if so, your evidence will be transferred to them. (An examination is normally only carried out if the assault has happened within the last 7 days)

For more information, please click HERE


What is SARC and how it can help?

How can SARC help me?

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon