Toggle menu

Protecting Adults

Protecting Adults - Hands

Adults can be as much at risk from harm as children. Don't keep it to yourself if you're worried or your instincts tell you something isn't right.

The protection of vulnerable people is a priority for Dumfries and Galloway Public Protection Partnership. We work together, using preventative methods and early intervention, to protect adults who may be at risk of harm.

The Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 places a duty on councils to make the necessary inquiries and investigations to establish whether or not further action is required to stop or prevent harm occurring, and includes:

  • a requirement for specified public bodies to co-operate with local councils and each other about adult protection investigations;
  • a range of protection orders including assessment orders, removal orders and banning orders; and
  • the establishment of multi-disciplinary Adult Protection Committees.

The Act defines 'adults at risk' as individuals, aged 16 years or over, who:

  • are unable to safeguard themselves, their property, rights or other interests;
  • are at risk of harm; and
  • because they are affected by disability, mental disorder, illness or physical or mental infirmity, are more vulnerable to being harmed than others who are not so affected.

This is the 3 point criteria. 

Here is a short Introduction to the Act.

Warning signs

You might notice that an adult is:

  • not dressed or eating properly or not getting medical treatment
  • scared, withdrawn or uncomfortable around certain people
  • asked to do things or touched in a way they don't like
  • being hit, shaken or hurt or has unexplained cuts and bruises

Report a concern about a vulnerable adult

Call 030 33 33 3001 

Everything you say will be in the strictest confidence when you call us and you don't have to tell us your name if you don't want to. Let us know:

  • information about the person and anyone they live with 
  • details of what you saw or heard which worried you

Other ways to contact someone:

  • Police emergency line - call 999
  • Police non-emergency line - call 101 you do not need to leave your name, but it would help for more information.
  • Out of hours service - call 01387 273660 or email 

What we'll do

We have a duty to act on information we receive. We'll look at any concerns, seek more information about the situation and take any appropriate action or offer support.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon