Resources for Professionals - Adult Support and Protection
Legislation and Government Guidance
Adult Support and Protection
- Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 (legislation.gov.uk)
- Adult Support and Protection revised Code of Practice - gov.scot (www.gov.scot) - July 2022
- National Guidance for APCs - July 2022
- National Guidance for APCs - Undertaking Learning Reviews - May 2022
- National Guidance for GPs and staff in General Practice - July 2022
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): adult support and protection guidance - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)
- Scottish Government ASP webpages Social care: Adult support and protection - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)
- Communication and Assessing Capacity - A guide for social work and health care staff
- Triennial review of initial case reviews and significant case reviews for adults (2019-2022)
- Vulnerable Witnesses (Scotland) Act 2004
- Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007
- Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Act 2015 (legislation.gov.uk)
- Scottish Government Human Trafficking and Exploitation Strategy
- UK Government Prevent Multi Agency Panel Duty Guidance: Protection people vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism
Other National Guidance
Office of the Public Guardian (OPG)
- OPG Guide to Investigations - Information for practitioners undertaking investigations involving Office of the Public Guardian
Mental Welfare Commission (MWC)
- MWC Supported Decision-making good practice guide 2021
- MWC Consenting Adults - Guidance for professionals and carers when considering rights and risks in sexual relationships involving people with a mental disorder
- MWC Rights, Risks & Limits to Freedom - Principles and good practice guidance for practitioners considering restraint in residential care settings
- MWC - Alcohol-related Brain Damage
- MWC Missed Opportunities - Findings from visits to people with Acquired Brain Injury and Alcohol-related Brain Damage
- MWC Powers of Attorney and their Safeguards
- MWC Advice Note: Can a power of attorney authorise significant restrictions of liberty?
- MWC Advice Note: Hidden Surveillance
- MWC Advice Note: Adults with Incapacity - Sexual Relationships and the Criminal Law
- MWC - Decisions about Technology
Adult Participation - Communication Resources
- Royal Society of Speech and Language Therapists principles, standards and practical guidance for ensuring that an individual is enabled to understand and communicate effectively
- Office for Disability guidance around accessible communication formats
- Makaton - use of speech with signs (gestures) and symbols (pictures) to help people communicate.
- Link to the National Adult Support and Protection Practitioners' Website
- Research in Practice: Importance of Professional Curiosity in safeguarding adults
- NHS Education for Scotland video: Opening Doors - Trauma Informed Practice for the Workforce
- Friends Against Scams Online Learning
- Act against Harm
The Herbert Protocol
The Herbert Protocol helps Police in their search for missing vulnerable people. Download the flyer and form below for more information.
What is Adult Support and Protection? Leaflet
Reporting an Adult Concern to Social Work
(For Agencies and Providers)
Are you concerned about a loved one's drug or alcohol use?
D&G Advocacy Service
Adult Support and Protection Resource Library - Enquiries and Reports
Learning from Case Reviews
IRISS - Writing Analysis in Social Care
A practical framework for supporting the writing of analysis in social care records.
What is a Mental Health Officer?
What's a MHO and what they do:
Social Work Policy and Procedure - Adult Support and Protection Procedures
VIDEO: Inability to Safeguard - Exploring Decision Making of Individuals and Professionals
Click HERE to watch the video.
Corona Virus: Safeguarding Adults in Challenging Circumstances
Download important information on protecting vulnerable adults. Click on the link below:
Modern Slavery cuts across all Public Protection strands: i.e. Adult Support and Protection, Child Protection and Violence Against Women and Girls.
Click here to read more about Human Trafficking.
Self-neglect and Hoarding plus Other Useful Downloads